Thursday, February 23, 2012

I've Been Knitting!

I've actually been able to do a bit of knitting since I last blogged. Sebastian is at the stage now where I can work on small projects or read while I'm feeding him, which is nice. Of course, he's also at the stage where he wants to see what I'm doing while I'm feeding him, so he frequently turns his head away from his bottle to watch me and won't start eating again until I stop what I'm doing and focus on him. :)

First, let me show you what I got done for Valentine's Day this year!

Sorry for the bad picture - we just got a new desktop computer and I haven't figured out how to edit photos yet.

These are boxer shorts! From Star Wars comic book fabric! I had the idea to make my husband a pair of boxers out of some cheesy Valentine fabric (you know, hearts and pink and stuff). When I went to JoAnn's to shop, they didn't have anything left, which completely threw me off. As I wandered aimlessly around the store, trying to find a reason to buy something, I saw a shelf of Star Wars fabric by the register (JoAnn's actually just posted about it on their Facebook page this morning!)

I picked this print because my husband loves both Star Wars and comic books. I used this tutorial that I found via Pinterest - because really, isn't that how we find everything right now? My only complaint with the pattern is that the legs are long, which is not really a big deal. I have some green, white, and brown argyle fabric that I'm going to use for another pair, so I'll shorten the legs up.

The best part about these boxers is that my husband loved them!

Okay, back to the knitting. I've gotten two pairs of booties made! The first pair is another pair of Ruby Slippers from "Vintage Knits for Modern Babies." They're for a friend of mine's little girl:

Project: Brown Slippers (Ravelry link)

Yarn: Um...not sure? By the twist and feel of it, I'd have to say Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran, but I wouldn't stake my life on it.

Buttons: My favorite part! Sparkly pink buttons from JoAnn's, left over from a cardigan I made for another friend's daughter.

I really enjoy this pattern - it's a shame I don't have any more little girls to make it for!
The other pair of booties I made is for Sebastian, since the poor kid only has one handknit so far! (We won't talk about the sweater in my WIP basket that just needs an arm seam)

Project: Baz's Booties (Ravelry link)

Yarn: Debbie Bliss Merino DK, about half of a ball, from the stash. It's amazing (and a little scary) how many single balls of yarn I've accumulated over the years.


I liked these booties too. I didn't have them flagged when I originally went through the book (I Post-It flag patterns that catch my eye), but the more I looked at the picture, the more I liked them. The pattern also calls for garter stitch straps across the insteps with decorative buttons, but because I'm lazy I didn't do them. They're the 3-6 month size, but Sebastian has ridiculously long and narrow feet, so they fit him great.

Because who doesn't love little baby feet in handknits?


That's all for today - I think I've gotten you caught up, and I have laundry to fold before the kids wake up!


No comments: