Monday, May 23, 2011

New F(S)O and a Sneak Peek!

As promised, here are some pictures of my latest F(S)O - Finished (Sewing) Object:

This is the 'Charm Pack Skirt' from "Stitch by Stitch: Learning to Sew, One Project at a Time," sized down from the smallest size (I think the smallest was a 3) to fit a size 18 months. This is the third sewn garment I've made (all for Caitlyn so far, but I'm working on a shirt for Robert), and the first project from this book. It's written to be followed from the beginning so that you learn fundamental skills and build upon them, but I had an itch to make this so I just jumped ahead.

The pattern was well-written and almost every step was illustrated. The only complaints I have with it are things that were my own fault! It's written to make use of charm packs (hence the name), but I didn't have any. I did have a bunch of coordinating fat quarters though, so I did a lot of cutting to get the 5" squares. That part wasn't fun, but I wouldn't have had to do it if I'd just used the charm packs.


The other issue I had was with the gathering foot on my machine, but that's just me getting to know my sewing machine.

Overall, I'm very pleased with how this turned out. I love the fact that they are getting old enough for me to make them clothes without worrying that they'll be outgrown before they're worn. Plus, neither of them have opinions yet on what they want to wear (or if they do, they're not sharing yet), so I might as well make them wear what I want them to before I lose my chance! I had originally wanted her to wear this skirt with the Child's Ruched Yoke Tee (Ravelry library link because I shamefully haven't taken a picture of mine yet...one of these days), but it's still gigantic on her. I made the smallest size, which is a size 2 to fit a 21.5" chest. She'll be 2 in just under a month, but she's still in 18 months with a 19" chest. I think what I may do is sew in the garter ridges of the yoke with some elastic thread to help bring it in...or I might just keep trying it on her. At least it'll look cute in the fall with a long-sleeved tee underneath. :)

And now, your sneak peek at the next Domestic Knitter Design!

No comments: