Wednesday, July 27, 2011

WIP Wednesday - Mariner PO

Welcome to this week's installment of WIP Wednesday! :) I actually don't have too many knitting projects going right now. That's the downside to the ridiculous heat we've been having - it really dissuades you from working with wool! I'm still plugging away on the baby blanket - I'm almost done with the third pattern repeat and still on the first ball of yarn. I just started working on the next DKD pattern (hint: it's going to be perfect for holiday gift-giving, and you may even want to make one for yourself!). My main WIP right now is the Mariner Pullover. This one is for the baby-to-be, and depending on how quickly I finish it, my goal is to make Robert the same sweater in a different color. Then I can use them for Christmas, and instead of knitting Caitlyn a sweater, I'm going to sew her Christmas dress. I'm thinking about re-using the Easter dress pattern, but using a fancy Christmas plaid. I'm also thinking about using a dressier fabric than cotton, but we'll see how adventurous I feel. :)

Here's a picture of the sweater so far. I just finished what I think is the front and top of the left sleeve. I say this because the total sleeve circumference in the schematic is 6", and I had to do 4" before putting them on the holder. You can't see the sleeve very well because of the holder, but it's not very exciting.

My next step is to work across the center stitches, put them on a holder, and work the right sleeve. The little strip on the neck edge will go behind the center section. The instructions say to sew non-functional buttons on through both layers, but I think I'm going to sew on snaps, then top with cute buttons.


Here's a closeup of the edging (which is the same as the sleeve edge and center section). I think it's a half-linen stitch, but I'd have to get up and double-check, and I'm lazy. Whatever it's called, I like it. It has a neat texture, and is just fiddly enough that I have to double-check myself to make sure I'm doing the right row, but not too fiddly that I want to throw it across the room.

Oh, I'm not blocking it, I just pinned it out so you could get the full effect (stockinette rolling the way it does and all).


That's all for today, folks! I have to go mark smocking lines for a maternity dress that I'm making and cut strips for a quilt-a-long that I joined (because I don't have enough else to do right now) before the kids wake up. Oh, and fold laundry, because the Domestic Knitter occasionally does 'domestic' things around the house. ;)

No comments: