Friday, January 20, 2012

FO Friday - Catching Up!

I can't believe how long it's been since I've posted! I hope you all had great holidays. Everything since October has seemed like a blur. I had a lot of self-imposed deadlines to meet during the holidays. I didn't get sweaters knit for the kids...or any of their quilts finished (although I'm halfway done quilting Sebastian's quilt). I did manage to get a few things done though...

This is Caitlyn's Christmas dress. It's the same pattern that I used for her Easter dress, except I did the version without an overskirt. I used a hunter green stretch velour for the bodice and maybe a taffeta? for the skirt. This was my first time using both of these types of fabrics. The velour was tough because it constantly shifted - I think I ended up using my walking foot while doing my hems to keep the layers lined up.

I also had more trouble with this zipper than on the Easter dress, but I attribute that also to the fabric. Overall, it's exactly what I wanted her dress to be. I think I'd like to find a tutorial for some sort of tulle/net underskirt, just to give the skirt a bit more 'fluff.'





We were a little apprehensive about seeing Santa this year. Trying to get both kids to sit still and make sure that none of them freaked out - we weren't optimistic. However, the Santa and elves at the King of Prussia mall were great! As you can see, they have a couch instead of a chair, which gave us plenty of room. Caitlyn looks nice and proper, but she was in the process of sliding off of the couch to make her getaway.

I also sewed Sebastian's christening gown. When the twins got baptized, Robert wore a gown that's been in my husband's family for generations and Caitlyn wore a gown that I knit. We decided that we wanted Sebastian to have a gown of his own too, and I knew there wasn't enough time to knit one (lol), so I decided to sew one.


I used McCall's pattern #M4865, with a white tonal flocked dot cotton and a tiered lace trim - it's not laying quite right at the bodice in the picture, but I just didn't iron it well enough before taking the picture. My placement was off on the pintucks at the bottom, so I only did two instead of three, and in the interest of time I only did two buttonholes instead of three.



I have a confession to make. Sometimes I have an issue with procrastination. :) However, I was so frustrated this time because I really didn't procrastinate (I swear!) and I still ended up sewing the buttons on 20 minutes before the service started! I was also disappointed that I didn't get to make the matching bonnet (I'm still working on letting that go), but we had a beautiful one that my friend Debbie knit for Caitlyn so we used that one.




I also have one knitting project to share with you. I think the reason I haven't been knitting as much is that it's hard for me to knit around the kids now because they want to see, or they want to climb up in my lap and watch, or just generally be involved. When my husband gets home from work, it's easy for me to run downstairs and hang out at my sewing machine for a little while and let him have some quality time with the kids. Plus sewing gives me quicker gratification than knitting right now, although I do have a new pattern in the works.
Sebastian's Aviatrix!
Pattern: Aviatrix from Just Jussi (Ravelry link)

Yarn: Debbie Bliss Merino DK, about 61 yards? I think I have about half of the ball left.

Button: from my button stash via JoAnn's.

I love how the color of the hat matches his eyes! My twins' heads were always in the 50th percentile for their age, so hats for their 'age size' never fit for very long. I planned ahead this time and made (I think) the 3-6 month size...and Sebastian's head has consistently been in the 25th percentile. Which means this hat is still huge, but at least he should be able to wear it all winter - and with the mild temperatures we've been having, that may last until June!

That's all for today. I feel like I'm starting to get into a routine with my crafting and housework and children, so I'm planning to get back to blogging more regularly. Have a great weekend!

No comments: